Tuesday, July 13, 2010

a redeeming WTF, Philippines

The ChowKing 'Sioplet' - What started as a normal 'WTF, Philippines' turned out to be the highlight of my day. See, my days now consist of going to the Estarbucks at the local mall to fill out med school applications, work on my research, and, of course, avail of the plethora of fast food.

ChowKing is like Burger King's Asian cousin, in name AND in menu selection. So aside from the disturbingly cheap dishes (my 'breaded chicken lauriat' meal costs me a little over $2), I was intrigued by the dessert inclusion: an ube sioplet.

For some of you, both of these words may be foreign. 'Ube' (pronounced ooh-beh) is a purple yam, usually seen in ice cream form on top of the glorious halo-halo dessert. 'Sioplet,' until now, was a foreign term as well. Let's dissect the word: sioplet (pronounced "sho-plet") is a small (hence the -let) siopao (pronounced "sho-pow) which is a Filipin-ization of the Chinese pork bun called char siu bao. So imagine my hesitation in eating a mini yam pork bun?

Despite it's relativeness cuteness, I was more than apprehensive.

After devouring my lauriat (still not sure what that term means), I slowly moved towards the sioplet, which now has such an endearing connotation. Realizing that there was no actual pork in the bun, but just a play on words and concept, kinda like a Choco-Taco, I took my first bite...

...and my oh my, was it glorious. It was a combination of ube sweetness and yummy custard, all in the guises of a purple scrotum?

Looks aside, no WTF here, but rather, kudos. Kudos, Philippines!

No comments:

Post a Comment