Tuesday, July 13, 2010

WTF, Philippines? - Part 2

Celebrity Endorsements - I think my favorite endorsement so far was one of the first I drove by when I returned in June. Apologies for the crappy picture, unfortunately there are no high-res versions, so this one I found on Google Images will have to suffice:


  • it's a bit hard to see, but at the bottom, it says: "FIND TRUE LOVE IN...SAN MARINO CORNED TUNA"
  • i gotta say, nothing makes me want corned tuna more than these two celebrities. you'd thing this female celebrity would have more dignity than advertising corned tuna with her 'corned tuna' hanging out. haha, i crack myself up.
  • to save myself from the multitude of shirtless pictures of him that would result if i google imaged him, i'll just mention how ridiculous a particular filipino celebrity is. his name is piolo pascual and i can't really think of any US celeb to compare him to. and why can't i think of a comparison? because i've never seen a US celebrity (attempt to) sing, (attempt to) act, model for every filipino clothing company, and endorse laundry detergent, sportswear, Sprite, dietary supplements, a bank, and probably corned hot dogs and lady's choice sandwich spread. it's amazing to me how much these filipino celebrities whore themselves out - most likely to see their own faces plastered across manila next to a can of dog food. WTF.
Mang Inasal's Theme Song - So Mang Inasal is one of the newer chain restaurants serving chicken cooked in some provincial way, something like barbecue or KFC's new attempts to be healthy. Lesson in translation - 'Mang' a shortened version of 'Manong' which is a term of respect derived from the Spanish 'hermano' and 'Inasal' the method of cooking - so 'Mang Inasal' could be loosely translated as Mr. Barbecue. Anyway, it's not Mr. Inasal's chicken that I'm appalled by, but rather, the lengths to which the franchise has gone to attract customers.

See, they've opened up a branch across the street from where I'm staying, and on their grand opening last Thursday, the hired some hybrid-tribal-chicken-suit-marching-band to play the same mind-numbing Jamaican drum tune from, I kid you not, 8am to 10pm.

Since that Thursday (today is now Tuesday), they've played, on loudspeaker, the Mang Inasal jingle on looped repeat from 8am to 10pm. Fortunately for me and unfortunately for you, I couldn't find the real jingle on the internet, but I found some version of Mang Inasal song on youtube. Just imagine a jingle like this, playing nonstop for more than 12 hours straight outside of your window. WTF.

No comments:

Post a Comment